Using Lulzbot Mini 2 with browser based slicer?

I mentioned in another thread that I’m getting back into 3D printing after a 5+ year absence, once again helping out a local elementary school class. The classroom is severely computer limited. The kids have Chromebooks and will most likely use TinkerCAD, but I don’t think they have anything that will run Cura LE for slicing. I’m trying to scrounge a computer they can use for slicing, but @b-morgan suggested I look at a web based slicer as well, such as Kiri:Moto or SliceCrafter.

I was able to set up the slicer plug-in in OctoPrint on the Raspberry Pi years ago, but that plug-n is no longer maintained, and I have forgotten how I did that. I leaned toward running Cura LE, since so much is already set up there, but I may not have the option, between finding a computer and then getting approval from the school’s IT department to leave an “outside” computer in the classroom and to connect it to their network.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something to help me set up one of these web based slicers for use with my Mini 2?

If there is a simple way to copy over the Cura LE Mini 2 settings and a couple of filament profiles into a web based slicer, that might help us dodge the other problems/restrictions at the school.

Thanks for any pointers anyone can provide.

It looks like SliceCrafter (web based IceSL) may require defining a printer model for the LulzBot Mini 2 and then publishing it. I did this for the LulzBot TAZ 6 because I own one. Not sure I could do the Mini 2 without having access to one for testing so let’s ignore SliceCrafter for the moment.

Kiri:Moto allows the definition of devices so we just need to define a “LulzBot Mini 2” starting with “Any Generic Marlin”. Most of what is needed can be extracted from CuraLE. First I’ll see if I can define a “LulzBot TAZ 6” because I can test it. Then we can talk about the Mini 2.

If you open Kiri:Moto there is a icon in the upper right that has a dropdown that includes “Help”. Clicking on that and you get the following which looks like it contains lots of potential pointers :grin:

KiriMotoHelp

As for filament profiles once you pick specific ones from CuraLE (i.e. what filaments are you going to use), we can probably tailor Kiri:Moto.

How about getting the school’s IT department to provide a computer connected to their network that they have installed CuraLE on?

The teacher is working on that. The problem is that their classroom computers (other than the Chromebooks) are ancient. When we tried that 6 years ago the computers they had were constantly choking on Cura LE. The administration has newer ones, but they are unlikely to let us use one of those.

Thanks for being willing to take a look at this.

As a start, should I copy the start Gcode from Cura LE into Kiri:Moto’s “Header” tab, and the end Gcode into the "Footer Tab?

Yes, you set the dimensions and copy the start gcode into the header and the end gcode into the footer. CuraLE has a lot more variables (enclosed in {}) so you will need to convert those to ones that Kiri:Moto recognizes. See https://docs.grid.space/projects/kiri-moto/gcode-macros.

Change the number of extruders to 1, the filament to 2.85 and the nozzle to .5.

I’d set the layer gcode macro to ; LAYER: {layer} at Z= {z} so you can find them in the gcode if you need to.

That should get you started. Feel free to export what you end up with and upload it here. I’d be happy to take a look at it, “the blind leading the blind” :sweat_smile:

I’m headed out of town for a week, but will start poking around at that when I get back

Hey b-morgan,

I was wondering if you would be willing to share your LulzBot TAZ 6 profile for Kiri:Moto. I am trying to set one up for my Taz 5, 6 and 747 sidekick.

I believe this is what you want. I had to rename the file by adding the .obj extension.

lulzbot_taz_6.km.obj (4.8 KB)

Thanks,

It is strangely coming up as 5kb, and not letting me rename it to a .kmz filetype. not sure what the problem is.

The original file name was lulzbot_taz_6.km not .kmz. I downloaded it from the above link and was able to rename it on Windows 10. Try this link instead.

To import the file, you can drag and drop it onto the workspace or use Files, Import.