Crimping pins, best method

I’m trying to build a quick swap extruder head for my legacy Kittaz (Taz3) and I need to connect these
wires to these pins and then slot them into the connectors, just wondering if anyone has any good tips or best methods on the best way to do this, is there a special crimping tool involved? do they need solder? They’re so small and fragile, really difficult to work with. I do realize that there is a clip that locks into the holes on the connector but getting the wire connected to the pins is giving me issue…

Here’s a crimping tool. There may be cheaper ones available.

1 Like

Is well-rated by one of the well-respected YouTubers (TeachingTech).

Thanks TM, yes, looking into this more, a specialized tool is required like this crimper, makes sense.

Yeah, I like this one! thanks!

There are a bunch of Youtube videos out there. .
I can’t find the one that I learned from (which was excellent) but these are pretty good…

Also I’ve chosen to use a non-ratcheted tool because you have more control of each part of the crimp.
It takes a little practice to become profecent at it but after 50 or so crimps nearly every one is satisfactory and 90% are perfect.

Tips:

• Get a reasonably good tool. The cheap ones are usually not that good. I’ve had 4 of them. I’ve found that the IWISS 2820 is the best of the mid range crimpers.
  • Making the “wings” parallel before inserting the connector into the die helps to make them fold over more uniformly
  • Make the crimp slowly, not in one quick motion.
  • When crimping around the insulation do not use all your might as it might nick the wire and provide a place for it to break after a few movements.

My 2 Cents
Steve

Ok cool, thanks for that. Should be helpful. I’ll give it the 'ol college try and report back in a bit…

This is tough to beat in terms of value. I have professional-grade tools for aircraft work from Sargeant and others, but they are significantly more expensive and don’t perform any better at crimping. I particularly appreciate how this tool secures the connector while correctly positioning it for the crimp.