Cura 17 on Fedora 22

Hey there, I’m having some trouble getting Cura 17 on my machine. Searched high and low and can’t find much info at all, so here we go, help me lulzbot-forum kenobi, you’re my only hope:

Basically I just want to get Cura 17 on my Fedora 22 OS and I can’t seem to do it. I am a very new user (obviously) and I’ve followed the instructions on the lulzbot cura page https://www.lulzbot.com/cura and the first option dnf install only gives me Cura 14.12. It’s working, but not giving me as good of prints as Cura 17 was on windows, using the same print profile. I downloaded the src.rpm but I think installing that is beyond me atm, and I tried installing Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm a couple different ways with no success. I don’t want to be posting here just asking for help with linux, so really I’d just like to know if there’s any way I can update my current Cura to 17, or if there’s some simple solution to this that I may have overlooked. Failing that, a push in the right direction is all I’m looking for cause on my own I haven’t been able to make much headway. Thanks for reading this! Cheers

Dear Padawan,

The best way to install Cura on Fedora is to install this rpm : http://devel.alephobjects.com/software/cura/packages/current/Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm
The src.rpm is just the source rpm if you want to rebuild the rpm yourself, so best to ignore it and use the binary rpm instead.
To install it, you just need to use ‘dnf install’ and the rpm file as argument, and it should work. You say you tried a couple of different methods without success, then please show us what you’ve done and what errors you got so we can pinpoint the issue and help you out.
Here’s an example of me installing Cura from the rpm :

[root@kakaroto ~]# dnf install Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm 
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:46:11 ago on Tue Nov 24 12:10:51 2015.
Dependencies resolved.
===================================================================================================================================
 Package                            Arch                     Version                          Repository                      Size
===================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 Cura                               x86_64                   17.10-1.fc22                     @commandline                   5.9 M
 python3-PyOpenGL                   x86_64                   3.1.0-2.fc22                     updates                        2.2 M
 python3-power                      noarch                   1.4-1.fc22                       fedora                          27 k

Transaction Summary
Install  3 Packages

Total size: 8.2 M
Total download size: 2.2 M
Installed size: 33 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/2): python3-power-1.4-1.fc22.noarch.rpm                                                         569 kB/s |  27 kB     00:00    
(2/2): python3-PyOpenGL-3.1.0-2.fc22.x86_64.rpm                                                    858 kB/s | 2.2 MB     00:02    
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                                              561 kB/s | 2.2 MB     00:04     
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Installing  : python3-PyOpenGL-3.1.0-2.fc22.x86_64                                                                           1/3 
  Installing  : python3-power-1.4-1.fc22.noarch                                                                                2/3 
  Installing  : Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64                                                                                       3/3 
  Verifying   : Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64                                                                                       1/3 
  Verifying   : python3-power-1.4-1.fc22.noarch                                                                                2/3 
  Verifying   : python3-PyOpenGL-3.1.0-2.fc22.x86_64                                                                           3/3 

Installed:
  Cura.x86_64 17.10-1.fc22             python3-PyOpenGL.x86_64 3.1.0-2.fc22             python3-power.noarch 1.4-1.fc22            

Complete!

Wow I thought I replied to this last night. Don’t have the terminal screen info anymore, but I believe first I tried downloading the package and installing with yum extender… it went through the process of installation, but afterwards I could find no trace of it on my system… Then I downloaded the package and trying ‘sudo dnf install Cura*’ I got a message saying ‘package is not installable’ and one saying ‘add --allowerasing’ and something about conflicting packages. I removed Cura 14 and tried again, getting the same result. The rpm was downloaded to my Downloads folder, and i navigated there to try to install it… does the location of the package have anything to do with it? Thanks a lot for replying!

[gz@localhost ~]$ cd /home/gz/Downloads
[gz@localhost Downloads]$ sudo dnf install Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm
[sudo] password for gz:
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:27:12 ago on Wed Nov 25 14:26:41 2015.
Error: package Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64 is not installable
(try to add ‘–allowerasing’ to command line to replace conflicting packages)
[gz@localhost Downloads]$

Thanks for the info. Now that is indeed a weird error message. I’ve looked online and all I can see about it is people complaining about that message being useless and not giving enough information as to what the cause of the conflict is.
Can you try with ‘sudo rpm -i Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm’ and paste the output here? it should give us either the conflicting package or the missing dependencies. Then I guess from there we can figure out what needs to be done so it can successful install it.
I would also suggest trying to do ‘sudo dnf remove Cura’ just in case although I doubt that would help. I just tried installing different versions on top of each other and dnf is able to replace the previously installed package so that’s not it.
Good luck.

I tried the rpm -i and turns out there were 4 dependencies missing. I found and installed 3 of them no prob, but the 4th is a problem:

[gz@localhost ~] cd /home/gz/Downloads [gz@localhost Downloads] sudo dnf install Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm
[sudo] password for gz:
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:21:39 ago on Sat Nov 28 11:32:12 2015.
Error: package Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64 is not installable
(try to add ‘–allowerasing’ to command line to replace conflicting packages)
[gz@localhost Downloads] sudo rpm -i Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm package Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64 is intended for a different architecture [gz@localhost Downloads] sudo rpm -i Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
python3-PyOpenGL >= 3.0.2 is needed by Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64
[gz@localhost Downloads] sudo rpm -i Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm package Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64 is intended for a different architecture [gz@localhost Downloads] sudo rpm -i Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
python3-PyOpenGL >= 3.0.2 is needed by Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64
[gz@localhost Downloads] sudo rpm -i Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm package Cura-17.10-1.fc22.x86_64 is intended for a different architecture [gz@localhost Downloads]

… python3-PyOpenGL…
rpm -i says i need python3-PyOpenGL>=3.0.2, there are 3 options I found to install, please see attachment. I think I tried installing every combination of these files and every time I was told afterward that the Cura package is intended for a different architecture. So I’m at a loss again, unable to find anything online specific to my problem either… thanks again!! sorry for late reply, havent been online in last 2 days. thanks!

Thanks for the information. Now that was useful!
So, there’s a couple of things in there. First of all, you are running a 32 bit system and the package was built for 64 bits, that’s why it can’t get installed. The second issue is with python3-PyOpenGL which is not actually a required dependency because Cura only works on python 2.7, not python3.
I’ve removed those bad dependencies from the RPM and built a new one for x86. Here’s the RPM for the 18.02 beta :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22642664/cura/Cura-18.02-1.fc22.i686.rpm
Could you try it out and let me know if this works or if you have any issues with it ?

Thanks!

By the way, Fedora 23 has the new Cura 17.10 version in its repositories, if you’re not averse to a Fedora upgrade (I can fully sympathize if you are)

Thanks kakaroto!!! It worked great! I appreciate the time you spent to help me out. I feel like I should have been able to figure this stuff out myself, but a bunch of things conspired against me it seems. Now, I need to spend a while familiarizing myself more with Fedora, and thankfully, I can do it while pulling off high quality prints again :slight_smile: and TD, I think I will wait a while before going to Fedora 23 but thanks anyway for the info, that is good to know

Cheers :smiley:

Great to hear, I’m glad to know it’s working for you now, and thank you for reporting and helping to figure out the issue so we could fix it!