Hairy Poor Supports, Stops extruding properly when starting supports

Hey all, hope things are well,

Yeah it is as the title says, my Lulzbot TAZ 6 would print everything fine on the base, up to the point when it needs to start on supports. Once it starts support printing it stops extruding correctly, and I get hairy dotted prints along the base of the object. I am using Pro PLA from 3D PrintLife, as far as I’m aware the settings are set to it, we never had this issue before with it, we have printed plenty before with it, so we are wondering what the issue is now. We are on version 2.0.9.0.13 for the machine, I gave it a recent firmware update, to try and fix the problem but didn’t work. It is a single extruder, if you need anymore information I will gladly provide it.

Hard to tell from one picture, but that print looks like your z offset was too low, so it’s stripping the filament because it can’t push filament. First layer looks like it went down ok-ish, then the second layer had nowhere to go, so it’s ironed that first layer smooth where it could, but was also dribbling filament and pushing any bumps around into the stringy blobs seen there.

When you changed the firmware, did you restore your Z offset from when it was working?

Also, did you select the single extruder (Not the SE) from the toolhead menu? And after you selected that toolhead, did you restore your Z offset?

I did not restore my Z offset after updating, so nothing changed between that then and now, and yes the single extruder is selected on the setting, I am printing from the software CuraLE 4.13.4 this time around, I should be able to adjust the z offset from there yes? seems my probe offset is -1.200. Thank you for the information!!

If you’re using the stock Taz 6 print bed, -1.2 is probably a bit high, it’s normally around -1.32 to -1.25. If you are using the octograb, it’s around +0.25. If you are getting the results printed with a -1.2, I would give the nozzle a very thorough cleaning. If there is any visible movement on the bed from the probing of the washers, the nozzle to washer contact is not clean. Generally, you should be able to hear the steppers stepping up on the z after contact with the washer is made. If you hear more than four “bumps” while it’s in contact with the washer, it is not clean.

Z offset is set on the machine itself, not through the software.

I’ll double check on that when I get the time, I’ll adjust from the machine next if the initial cleaning doesn’t change anything. again thank you for the information.