Lulzbot Taz 6, perhaps z offset, maybe regular maintanence?

I recently changed positions in work, and the 3D printer is part of my responsibility. All of the models have been coming out quite well for a few months, and recently have been having layering issues. The company that sold us the 3D printer and messed with the zoffset and it really didn’t do anything different we have been having the same errors. I’ve been doing slight changes as well to the zoffset, but have not noticed any improvements. I’m wondering if it is something to do with the belts, as I read they may need to be tightened, or the bed is out of level. We use PLA filament from keene village plastics. 2.85mm.

The machine goes through the auto leveling process, then begins its heating, the filament builds a slight build up on the nozzle before moving into position to print, I believe the issue is the first couple layers. Ive tried to upload the gcode into cura, but it wont allow me to use it. (Print set up disabled G-Code files cannot be modified) I figured if I could modify when the filament is put into place, and heated up, or added an extra border layer it would maybe fix the problem, or if I could change the temperature(prints at 220F I believe).

Anyways Im a complete noob when it comes to 3D printing, any advice would be amazing. Thank you, appreciate the help.

Yowsers that looks bad! Can you flip the model 180 degrees on the vertical axis? Have the wide base on the bottom and the narrow end on the top. How about a picture / diagram of the actual model to start with?

Thank you for the reply Joe. I would have uploaded more pictures, but the forum would not allow me to do so because it is my first post. Here are some more photos

Hope this is the angle you were asking for.
As far as the picture/diagram of the actual model, are you talking about the made product, or the model that is uploaded into cura?

Here is another picture as well.

The model view in Cura slicer. Also, what size nozzle are you using and what is your layer height do you know? What printhead are you using?

Only way to upload the pictures was through multiple replys.

The nozzle should be the stock that the printer came with: * Tool Head: TAZ Single Extruder Tool Head v2.1, 0.50mm nozzle

Layer height: 0.25

Your nozzle looks pretty dirty, do you have a spare to swap it out? It may be time rather than trying to get it properly cleaned. Your print looks as if it’s not receiving a consistent flow of filament; as if something is binding the filament path. Or maybe your nozzle isn’t getting hot enough. Or your flow rate is less than 90%. (Usually is set to 100%). Are you using “supports”. For this model? Instead of the material view let’s see the layer view, especially if you’re using supports. Looks like you’re printing 4 copies of the model; if so I suggest just print the one model at a time until we can get this figured out and reliable.

Do you have the model file from the 3D software such as a STL etc.? You will need that to modify the parameters in Cura. The G-code file is the list of instructions the printer uses. Cura slices the model file to create the G-code instructions the printer uses based on the parameters you set in Cura. Based on the first picture, it looks like the temperature is too high. I’d check the fan and see if it is working. If you have printed a lot it would be time to change the nozzle. Try searching for worn nozzle images and see if they look similar. YouTube has many good instructors explaining how different setting work. The principles work across different printers. Look for channels with higher numbers of subscribers.

Joe,

Unfortunately we do not have a spare nozzle, but this is what we have been thinking all along, the prints have slowly been degrading, and when the printer applies the first layer, the filament is not consistent. The flow is set at 100%. I have done the filament calibration, and it has steady filament flow, and cleaned out the nozzle to the best of my ability. After the auto leveling/cleaning process, when the nozzle heats up, is when the flow rate becomes inconsistent. I will see about replacing the nozzle today. Thank you for all your help. Looking forward to getting this up and running, and learning more about the software.

Fraktur,

I only have access to the g-code files. I took the SD out of the printer to pull them off thinking I would be able to modify the starting parameters/adjust temperature on the print ect… but it wont allow me from the software that I have downloaded. The filament does not have consistent flow rate for sure. I am looking to learn more about the software. We have been steady printing with this printer for well over a year now. Perhaps it is time to change the nozzle? The prints were working well, and have been steadily degrading over time.

Have you check the filament drive gear for pieces of filament? The gear bites into the filament to move it and if it is dirty, the filament will slip. The g-code is in ASCII text and can be edited with any text editor. I would use a simple one like NotePad. It doesn’t add any formatting strings like Word. Do a web search for Marlin commands and you will find a list of g-code commands at the Marlin website. Now for the hard part. You will have to search through thousands of lines to find the all the commands you need to change. It might be simpler to measure a known good part or get a dimensioned drawing and create your own model. 3D modelling is a good skill to have and there are free software and tutorials available. The ones with parametric modelling are much more powerful. You can change dimensions without having to redraw your model.

This model doesn’t look to difficult to recreate. If you do not have the .stl file (it can also be .obj, .amf, .3mf are examples) and it’s not a company owned asset or proprietary, I can probably recreate it for given all the dimensional information. Or you can try recreating the file yourself using Tinker Cad. It’s a free web browser cad program. You’ll have to sign up with an e-mail address. There’s a few other free cad program options available too, but given you’re a complete noob Tinker Cad can be a good start and may be all that you ever need to learn.

Just want to thank everyone for the input and help. Replaced the nozzle, and everything is running again, and now have more information on how to improve my knowledge.

Happy Holidays