@Dougz, sorry for the late response wanted to do the thorough testing before posting what I found.
Okay so I think you are right on it being set to nGen since the one only thing I remember from the prints was the bed heat was set to somewhere around 80 or 85 Celsius and at the time I didn’t think about it being high for PLA. After posting I went back and set up a new print and made absolutely sure I had the right filament settings and voila it worked and the prints stuck to the bed like glue with no warping, so 100% user error.
The free PLA was actually PLA, I just forgot I put it in the cart when I put in the order so I could test the first few prints in Lulzbot official filament to test it under the best conditions possible and verify things were working properly. When I saw it in the box I just assumed it came free but once again it was user error.
As for speed not sure if I am just getting use to it or it is just the fact the head has to travel further since the bed is so large compared to the mini but the speed issues don’t seem to be a huge deal to me now and it seems to move a little faster after the second round of prints under the PLA setting. Have not had a chance to time out a identical print on the two printers as the mini is at work to show the guys but I will have to time the two and see if there is any difference.
I started trying to print an assembled wrench to help calibrate it and used your tip on the Z offset to get a better first layer adhesion as I set the first layer to .2 mm to avoid getting a gap in the first layer compared to the .14 mm layers above it and helped in getting it to stick as that print is hard, at least it is for me. Spent all of Saturday trying to get it just right.
Thanks for all your tips, now that I have the thing working pretty well I have decided to avoid making the wife angry and save that anger for a different battle lol. I feel confident enough at this point that I can get by with just the TAZ but wish I could keep the mini as it is an amazing little machine.