Printer gets stuck on a corner

This has now happened twice when trying to print a case for an old Raspberry Pi original model B, downloaded from Thingiverse.

Yesterday, it stuck when about 5mm depth had been printed, otherwise all cleanly up to that point. I found the printer motionless, with the nozzle apparently stuck on a blob at a corner.

I didn’t think I had any option except to abort the print.

Today, it’s done it again on the same corner, but less than a millimetre depth printed. There’s a blob again on the front left corner where the printer stopped.

Printing resumed when I pressed the space bar to wake up the computer, but I’m watching now to see if it sticks again on that blob.

It seems to get over it, and aside from the residual blob printing is looking normal.

I wasn’t watching while it happened, so I don’t know exactly how that arose.

Any ideas on what the cause might be, or how to prevent it in future?

PS. An afterthought. The laptop computer is plugged in on mains power, but I wonder it if just went to sleep and stopped everything?

Will look at power settings and try to stop that, if that might be the cause.

PPS. Well, the Screen was set to turn off after 15 minutes when plugged in, but I’ve now set that to Never. And Sleep was set to Never already.

I think that is a USB sleep setting you need to change in your BIOS.

I’ll look for that - didn’t know there was one!

PLease post the actual STRL you are trying to print here so we can check the model for corruption.

I would post a link to the Thingiverse object, but I can’t find it again - it was hard to find any original Model B cases at all, and now I can’t find this particular one.

But I attach the STL file which I printed - successfully in the end, except for the blob in the middle, which is barely visible in the finished product after a little trimming with a scalpel.

It does seem probable that the computer, or the USB port, went to sleep in the middle of the print.
Raspberry_Pi_Model_B_Case.stl (215 KB)

Thats ok, I wanted to see the actual copy you were attempting to print, not the base file from thingiverse anyways so this is perfect. The model looks entirely intact so its probably either USB sleep or something along those lines.

I didn’t know there was such a setting, let alone where to find it. But a bit of hunting discovered the setting.

It’s not in the Bios, but in Device Manager. Some but not all of the USB devices have a setting tab for Power Management. Where I found that, I unchecked the box that says ‘allow the computer to put this device to sleep’.

Hope that will stop the problem recurring in future prints.

A note for anyone who finds this file, and prints it: there are a couple of round posts in the bottom of the case. They serve no useful purpose I can see, and I had to trim them off to allow the Pi board to sit properly in the bottom.

I’d comment on the original Thingiverse object if I could find it again!

As a matter of curiosity, how did you view the STL file to determine it was complete?

Well, in spite of my having told the computer, AND the USB buses not to go to sleep (except for the screen) the printer stopped again part way through my last print. Again, a press of the spacebar woke up the screen, and started the printer again, with only a small blob on one piece of the print, partly filling a hole which I can drill out to size.

So the print continues …

But WHAT is stopping it? Surely, just putting the screen to sleep shouldn’t stop the printer?

The computer (a laptop) is running on mains power, has both the ‘hard disks’ and the ‘computer’ sleep setting in Power management set to Never, and so are the usb devices.

And it’s just stopped again, almost at the end of the print, but with about 8mins to go.

I was using the computer, and beside the printer at this second stop, and I can’t get it to start again at all. Nothing should have turned off, USB said it was still connected, but nothing worked to start it again - spacebar, clicking Pause/Resume - what else could I have tried?

Set your screensaver to turn on in 8 years or something like that, and disable screen sleep. Depending on what kind of monitor connection you use (HDMI, displayport) the monitor sleep may also do other things. There is also a pci express power setting in There I would also disable.

It’s the laptop’s own screen, so connection is internal.

Will have a look for PCI Express power setting - another one I hadn’t heard of.

Try uploading and print from the SD card. This would rule out any PC related issues.

I hope the case is for an Octoprint implementation. :slight_smile:

I don’t have the option of an SD card on the Mini that I know of.

And I’m using Cura.

Is Octoprint likely to be better? I was thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi to drive the printer, which apparently needs to use Octoprint, or else repurposing an old EE box, which is too old and too slow to run Windows 10 but has a basic Busybox Linux OS built in, as well as a very slow Windows 7 OS.

I think the EE box could run Cura, but I don’t know how well or if it is fast enough.

I’m a fan of octoprint. Never had sleep, hibernate or shutdown issues… knock on wood. If you’re tech savvy, try a linux-flavored OS and install Octoprint. The EEE machine should be capable…

A RPi is pretty inexpensive these days. Its pretty easy to put an image on a microSD and have a dedicated machine to control your printer.