Problems with PLA

@Sebastian, I´ll take a deep look at the Esteps documentation, it´s a pretty new concept for me. Advanced stuff, I guess, but I´ll try my best to understand it. Seems important for the future.

@geburges, thanks for the apointment, but I think that Brent in fact mentioned it. I was entering 3mm (stupid me, that´s what the filament label says…), but now I understand that this is not real, and going back to 2.85mm as in the default PLA profile seemed to fix the stringing a lot.

Now I would like to share some pictures of the final piece, with additional comments that come to my mind.
First of all, I quadruplicated the size of the model (decorative purposses). I used the default PLA profile with standard quality (layers of 0.25mm). The printing went smooth, no problems at all (well, I had a first failed attempt with 0% infill, a big nonesense to save some hours, but I discovered how wrong I was when it was time to draw some roofs and there was nothing to print at… Noob error).


The results were georgeous just at a first sight. Just a few ultra-tiny strings that were extremely easy to remove. I could try playing a bit with the retraction values, but it´s not worth it. The print is very good.

These are the pieces just after the removal. Nice result. Good definition and really strong pieces, solid as a rock.

The support material was very easy to remove in some parts, just with a few turns. In others it was harder and as in the neck of the head, there were visible marks of the removal procedure. I would like to play with the “Support > fill amount (%)” parameter, its 30% by default but I would like to try with less to make an easy removal, maybe 15%. Also, should I lower the X/Z/Y distances to improve this procedure?

The pieces that were supossed to fit were VERY hard to fit. This obviously has a lot to do with the Esteps you people mentioned later.

Maybe related with the fit issue. I noticed that (even with a 1mm shell thickness) I can see-through against a light and cleary watch the filled structure. How could I make it disappear? Obviously a 0% is not the solution if you have roof parts… So maybe a thicker shell like 2mm? Don´t get me wrong, the shell is harder enough with 1mm, but it still allows to see the internal parts and joins, and I would like to avoid this. It´s a common problem in all my printed pieces.

I´m pretty sure this is related to the “Infill overlap(%)” parameter, maybe I should lower it to avoid this visible joins between the external shell and the internal infill?


Here it is, after struggling a lot trying to fit the pieces. I should notice that something was wrong with my custom profiles. I´m now getting the quality of my first prints, the TAZ5 is simply amazing.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions!

For everything that has to fit together, it’s essentialy to have corect e-steps and filament diameter (measured with a caliper). As the prints are looking quite good, I wouldn’t chance other parameters before this two are set. Evereything else will be affected by esteps and diameter.

Regaring the visible infill: It seems your are using a translucent filament, you will always see the infill in this case at least if you hold the part against a ligth source. Hint if you are choosing another slicer in the future: In such cases, it’s worth changing the infill to a nice looking one, like a hexagon infill. But Cura isn’t supporting such things at the moment.

Edit: Don’t change overlap infill to perimeter. It’s necessary to get a good bonding between the two and it’s nearly never necessary to change it…