I was asked some questions about my project in a filament thread so I thought, hey just start a project thread!
First off I am using SketchUp make. You can get it here if you want. http://www.sketchup.com/download. When you download you get the full blown “pro” tool but at the end of the 30 day trial period they grey out some menu items and you get the free version. I found it a great and intuitive CAD tool. It only takes hours to get fairly good at it (but of course, I learn new stuff and get better and faster everyday) It has some limitations and gothca’s with 3d printing but for a free tool it is pretty awesome!
The goal of the project is 5 foot wing span STOL type aircraft (Short Take Off/Landing). I am loosely modeling off a Cessna 170.
So off course with a 5 foot span and using a Taz 6 we are going to have to build up sub-assemblies to make a whole.
Since the Taz 6 print bed is 10.8 inches square I am working so that pieces are never more than 10.5 inch. That includes a 1/2 overlap for locking on span wise part . So finished assemblies will be 10 inches.
The main wing has just 5 unique parts: Arrayed here for Printing:
Here is an exploded view of the 5 parts showing how they will assemble:
So 7 parts to make a 10 inch section. (two sets of ribs needed) An assembled section:
Now finally we take the sections and connect them:
That’s the theory! Now for reality.
So the short version of this story is it works. These shots are all of V1. The long version is that if you refer to the exploded view I used tight tolerance tab and slot assembly style here plus many intricate interlocking aspects to make it strong.
I have really struggled with getting the parts to fit. I have experienced a learning curve on parts accuracy issues detailed in other threads (Here: https://forum.lulzbot.com/t/bad-accuracy-of-finished-parts/4315/1 and here: https://forum.lulzbot.com/t/filament-tolerances/4318/1 if you care) So Version two Wing is being drawn now and is going to simplify over all intricacy and move away from tab and slot.