Reason for uneven layer height in print profiles?

Hello together, I just had a look on the cura and slic3r profiles that are available for download. Now I’m wondering why the values for layer height are so “strange”. For example, I would expect them to be 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 and so on. But they are 0.14, 0.22, 0,28.
I read something about choosing the layer height to be a multiple of the height change that is the result of one step of the stepper motor. Maybe that’s the reason? Or is it the result of converting an “even” fraction of an inch to mm :laughing:

Looking at all of our profiles at this moment in time, here is the full set of layer heights:

These have been derived by experimentation of our fantastic R&D team. It varies by material, nozzle size, desired quality (strength/clarity/speed/detail), and probably a few other factors too.

Huh. I’m using a different layer height. I’ll have to try one of those and see if it works better for me too.

This … :

Re: Reason for uneven layer height in print profiles?
Postby nickthetait » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Looking at all of our profiles at this moment in time, here is the full set of layer heights:
0.14, 0.16, 0.18, 0.20, 0.22, 0.25, 0.30, 0.325, 0.38, 0.40, 0.425

These have been derived by experimentation of our fantastic R&D team. It varies by material, nozzle size, desired quality (strength/clarity/speed/detail), and probably a few other factors too.

Thank You nickthetait !!

• this is the kind of specification info. I love to get my hands on (now I have a reference)
    It’s easy to get where you’re going once you know where you are …