After fiddling with the dual extruder v2 for the last month+, I’d say its safe to mount the flexydually and establish nozzle height. Well, the consideration is that it will be your primary toolhead on the machine. Since putting the dual extruder on, I haven’t gone back to the single extruder.
Here’s how I’d do it:
- follow the directions to install the dual extruder… specifically there’s a bolt that needs to be replaced on the left side of the machine.
- Flash the firmware
- Raise the Z endstop so that the nozzle doesn’t crash into your bed.
- Level the bed.
- Move the toolhead to the center of the bed, heat up Tool0.
- Home the Z, increment Z-enstop… repeat until you can get a business card between the nozzle and bed. Use Tool0 (back extruder) for all actions.
- Once you can slip the business card through with some resistance, the iniitial nozzle gap should be about right. It may need to be lowered by half a turn of the Z-endstop to get a smooth bottom on the object… but also have atool handy to remove the print.
- At this point, you can try to level Tool1 or continue to a calibration cube to check out the bottom surface.
- Let’s do the print the claibration cube… I use the attached 20x20x5mm cube. Cancel print at 1.5mm to check out the bottom for nozzle gap calibration. The bottom should be fairly smooth and just able to make out the individual extrusion lines.
- Adjust Z as necessary.
- Level Tool1 so the bottom of the calibration cube looks the same as the one printed on Tool0. On my dual extruder, I can see ~3 threads on the insert. More threads means the nozzle is farther away from the bed… less means nozzle closer to bed.
Last tip, I use the attached calibration ring to check that the bed is level. Again, look at the finish on the bottom of the ring to determine if any corner is lower than the others. I also like to use dial gauges to quantify the distance of each corner… one on either side of the toolhead.
Hope this helps! Post some cool prints with the flexydually… or just post a print.
-Calib Disc 100x1.5.stl (43.8 KB)
-Calib_20x20x10.v1.stl (25.3 KB)