I’ve just unpacked my new TAZ5 and I’m a bit disappointed with the overall build quality…
The main frame, top to bottom, is about 14mm off the vertical, it’s the first thing I noticed when I set on bench - it is visibly out of shape. None of the main struts are bent so this is unlikely to be shipping damage, all the same, it will need straightening out before use.
Two of the pins on the print head connector were broken, these appear to be the DC feed for the micro-fan adjacent to the print nozzle. I’ve had to solder in replacement pins and thankfully noted the polarity first because the feeds on the other side of the connector are both orange so there is no intuitive way to check the polarity. It’s a bad choice of connector for the purpose; cheap and nasty and totally unsuited to the application, the pins are so weak and any undetected break could seriously damage the print mechanism. I’m looking for an alternative and I’ll replace it ASAP.
Every cable tie has been over tightened so that they’re crushing the actual conduit that’s supposed to protect the conductors. I used to joke about sending people on cable tie courses, maybe this isn’t funny ant more.
Thankfully none of these issues should require replacement parts from Lulzbot. All the same, these are unnecessary problems that could be avoided with some better quality control.