Now that I have a Taz Y axis belt tensioner (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1656341) it occurs to me that the amount of strain on the main shaft, coupled with potential deflection from the anti vibration damper, could lead to a shaft breakage at some point. it also occurs to me that there is plenty of room above the motor mount to put something there to take care of that problem. So, here it is. Using a 14mm dia x 5mm thick x 5mm shaft 605ZZ bearing, I’ve created essentially a support “hat” that fits over the motor mount. This will fit stock Taz’s of all types including the 6 with the stock mount. it will require slightly linger M3 bolts.
I also decided to tinker with the Motor mount, which has historically been one of the least tinkered with pieces of the Taz, mainly because it works really well. I added some plastic around the middle hole to strengthen it, narrowed the M3 bolt holes for tighter allignment to center, reinforced the side plates, removed 1mm worth of the mount surface itself (the reinforced smaller hole should have about the same mass, and this assumes you are bolting an anti vibration mount in line which will add back some flex strength there too) added some fillets, and added a lower mount point on either side of the side plates to fit a future cable cover thing that doesn’t yet exist. The new mount takes 2 additional M3 heat set inserts in addition to the standard M2 ones for the limit switch. The motor mount will NOT work on a Taz 6 (1-5 only). The bearing support cap still will though.
Taz_Y_Motor_Mount_2_4_alternate_1_0-a.stl (310 KB)
Taz_Y_Motor_Mount_Cap_1_0_a.stl (311 KB)