TAZ 3 dual extruder firmware Configuration.h

I’m building the TAZ 3 dual extruder firmware, and I’m skeptical of the OHAI instructions for configuring the Estep in the Configuration.h file. The OHAI iinstructions are:

In the Configuration.h tab, update the information found in DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT
You will need to update the second to last 800 number with the Estep value found earlier.
Change the last 800 value to 840.

The Configuration.h file as provided has:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {100.5,100.5,800,800} // default steps per unit for TAZ {X,Y,Z,E}

My Estep value is 833, both from the Test/Acceptance Record and form the LCD menu. So if I follow the instructions,
my new Configuration.h line should be:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {100.5,100.5,833,840} // default steps per unit for TAZ {X,Y,Z,E}

This makes no sense to me. Why is it desirable to change the Z steps per unit to the old Estep value?

It seems more plausible that I should want to change the LAST (not second to last) number in that line to my original Estep value, and change the DEFAULT_E1_STEPS_PER_UNIT on the next line to 840 (or even 833). In either case the two extruders will need to be calibrated again to get correct Estep numbers, but changing the Z steps per unit arbitrarily seems like madness.

Clarification would be much appreciated!

Best regards,
Eric

You should only be changing the last 800 value, as that’s the extruder steps per unit.

There have been some updates to that version of the Dual Extruder Marlin firmware that pulled the second extruder steps per unit entry from one combined line into it’s own new line, from:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {100.5,100.5,800,800,800}  // default steps per unit for TAZ {X,Y,Z,E0, E1}

to:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {100.5,100.5,800,800}  // default steps per unit for TAZ {X,Y,Z,E}
#define DEFAULT_E1_STEPS_PER_UNIT     800                    // default steps per unit for second extruder

The relevant ohai-kit (TAZ3 dually) has been updated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification.

I only just downloaded the TAZ 3 (24V) dual extruder firmware source code from the link provided a few days ago, and it still had the second extruder steps defined on a second line. Is the firmware you describe with both E0 and E1 in DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT released somewhere?

Best regards,
Eric

Not anymore. It’s all been migrated to the separate two line entry versions.