Cura hangs on splash screen (Win8 64bit)

Just got my Mini, installed Cura 15.02, and no matter how i try to launch, it hangs on the splash screen (octopus logo). No errors, warnings, timeouts, etc. Nothing seems similar in the forums here or up on ultimaker.

Ideas? Thx

A reinstall and reboot fixed it.

Sorry about that. Thanks for answering your own question once you got it fixed!

I’d like to figure out what went wrong. Did you have other versions of Cura installed in this computer previously (either LulzBot or Ultimaker)? What version did you have this problem with? The latest at this time is 15.02.1-1.03

Hmm, I have the same problem, but no amount of rebooting / reinstalling has done the trick.

I’m on Windows 7, running Cura 15.02.1-1.03.

The TAZ5 (0.5mm) detects as "3D Printer powered by RAMBo (COM51), in case that’s relevant.

When I start cura using “cura.bat”, I do get something in output.log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Cura\gui\splashScreen.py", line 23, in OnClose
    self.callback()
  File "Cura\gui\app.py", line 105, in afterSplashCallback
    from Cura.gui import mainWindow
  File "Cura\gui\mainWindow.py", line 17, in <module>
    from Cura.gui import sceneView
  File "Cura\gui\sceneView.py", line 28, in <module>
    from Cura.gui.util import previewTools
  File "Cura\gui\util\previewTools.py", line 12, in <module>
    from Cura.gui.util import openglHelpers
  File "Cura\gui\util\openglHelpers.py", line 17, in <module>
    glutInit() #Hack; required before glut can be called. Not required for all OS.
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.02.1\python\lib\OpenGL\GLUT\special.py", line 323, in glutInit
    _base_glutInit( ctypes.byref(count), holder )
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

I’d love to get up and running quickly – are there older binaries I could try out?

Aha! Tracked it down. The error happens when you have another copy of glut32.dll in your system.

Cura, specifically C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.02.1\python\Lib\OpenGL\platform\win32.py will try to use whatever glut32.dll it finds first. It might be the correct one, (C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.02.1\python\Lib\OpenGL\DLLS\glut32.dll), but it might not!

I had another copy, at C:\Program Files\Haskell Platform\7.10.2-a\bin\glut32.dll, and Cura was trying to use that. Once that DLL was removed, Cura works great.

Excellent detective work naroom. I’ve created a task to get this fixed sometime. You can follow progress here: https://code.alephobjects.com/T224