As much as we all love the Buddaschnozzle name, I think performance means something more. The all-metal Hot-end E3D seems to have the best reviews, so I decided I wanted the flexibility of printing in any filament with the same extruder.
Here is my quick how-to guide on installation and extrusion using the E3D on a TAZ.
The J-mount provided on thingaverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:374717 leaves out how-to instructions, so here are a few.
Assembly of the E3D hotend can be found on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr02pG58gaU following these simple instructions can make all the difference. Assemble the E3D and use the leads provided cut about in half to allow for the thermistor and power to be hooked up to the factory wiring mounts. I used tabbed quick disconnect crimp-ons for this in case I wanted to use other hot-ends in the future, leaving the factory plug intact.
The 12VDC E3D fan must be powered on when the extruder is turned on, I provided an external 12VDC power source, which is on as long as the power to my TAZ enclosure is on. I wish Lulzbot had made a standard 12VDC terminal/connection point out on the extruder frame from the RAMBO unit for fans, LED lights, etc…
I used Teflon tape to secure the E3D hotend to the J-mount, worked like a charm,
A couple of 10-24 screws and a trim of the screws to fit exactly and the assembly was easily put in and removable from the TAZ extruder frame.
After this is was a matter of placing the J-mount in place of the aluminum plate for the Buddaschnozzle, and securing it to the extruder with the two allen factory screws. I had to use 2 J-mounts to make one that worked, the screw holes didn’t go all the way through on both sides, so print two, or wait until I redesign it and post the revision. I had to shave about 1/32 of an inch off the inside curve of the extruder mount with a tile cutter bit for my Dremel, this took the high points from the fast factory extrusion and knocked them off a bit to allow for the mounting of the J-mount with the already installed E3D.
After this I hooked up my power leads and zip tied everything nicely.
You may have noticed that I mounted the J-mount on top of the extruder platform while the person who posted the mount on Thingaverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:374717 mounted theirs on the bottom, mounting it up on top of the extruder platform is so that the filament cooling fan still works, as you can see it is pointed right at the tip of the extruder, and does work.
The new green filament compression arm for the Hob bolt I printed with the new E3D
, and then replaced a broken part that was being held together with zip ties,
I like the new green one, I redesigned it to take the stress better by widening the frame arms a bit not by making it taller. It will be even better in Nylon.
I can’t wait to get the max temp restrictions off my TAZ so I can print in Nylon Muuuch faster than before, till then please feel free to ask questions and I’ll try to answer them.