Firmware for FlexyDually

I just installed a flexydually head on my taz 4. (This is the first time for me to play with the firmware) I made the changes to the firmware and uploaded the new settings. Here is where the problem comes in. My X and Y axis move at normal speed and so far appear to move the right amount of space. My Z axis though… It’s moving almost as slow as molasses on cold january morning, Also I had to hit the Zhome button in the software 4 times to get to the limit switch… I told the head to raise 50mm and it only moved 12mm.

I used the Numbers from the sheet 100.5, 100.5, 4xx, and E 850… Anyone have experience with this and how to correct it?

For whatever reason I just happened to be looking at the screen when I power cycled the system. I noticed it said 3.1… :frowning:

I loaded up the firmware that came on the SD card and reset it an uploaded it. Now everything seems right with the exception of the firmware linked from the flexydually instructions is for an old outdated system.

It sounds like you loaded the TAZ 3 Dually firmware on your TAZ 4. Use this guide: https://ohai-kit.alephobjects.com/project/taz4_dual_extruder/ (we have a similar TAZ 3 Dually guide). The link in the first step points directly to the TAZ 4 Dually firmware. If you encounter any trouble or have any questions contact our support team at Support@LulzBot.com.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update. I just ran through the firmware update on that and the boot screen still says 3.1. But when I move the head in the Z axis 50mm it moves 50mm. I am going to try a print with that and see what happens

The splash screen image may not be updated. Connect to the printer as well using Pronterface, and see what the compilation date is on the firmware- or any other info.

Orias, Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, Other issues crept up and took Priority. It make sense that the compile date would be the day I uploaded the new firmware. Using the Firmware you provided in the link it’s running semi normal as I would think it was to run (I’ll get into this more later.) The steppers are functioning and moving at normal speeds. The firmware still has the menu system of 3.1 on the LCD. It’ looks a lot different than my 4.1 menu system prior to the flash.

Info from Pronterface

echo:Marlin 1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Dec 16 2014 12:31:47 | Author: (Aleph Objects, Inc, TAZ  config)
Compiled: Dec 16 2014
echo: Free Memory: 3094  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echo:SD card ok
echo:enqueing "G28"
Reset.
Disconnected.
Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo:Marlin 1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Dec 16 2014 12:31:47 | Author: (Aleph Objects, Inc, TAZ  config)
Compiled: Dec 16 2014
echo: Free Memory: 3094  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echo:SD card ok

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem (3.1 firmware, slow travelling Z-axis with wrong values), and in addition a loud squealing sound from the box which contains the arduino & fans when idling.

How did you get it resolved? Unfortunaltely I haven’t heard back from support yet.

Mind posting a link to the firmware you downloaded? What version of TAZ are you using?

I have gotten busy with the construction of our new offices andhad to step away from the taz. I am just now getting back to it.

In one of the above posts Orias gave me a link to another help page which had a decently better firmware but it still says 3.1 and has the 3.1 menu system…

Orias,

I am using the taz4 that I bought from y’all on Cyber Monday. The firmware from the manual you linked in the quote below is still based on the 3.1 firmware and has the menu structure of it.

It sounds like you loaded the TAZ 3 Dually firmware on your TAZ 4. Use this guide: > https://ohai-kit.alephobjects.com/proje > … _extruder/ (we have a similar TAZ 3 Dually guide). The link in the first step points directly to the TAZ 4 Dually firmware. If you encounter any trouble or have any questions contact our support team at > Support@LulzBot.com> .

Thanks!

That firmware moves the head in all axis’s at a good rate now. I am just seeing a problem with the Y Axis not moving far enough to the front for the flexy head of the flexydually to get close to the end of the bed as can be seen in the following video.
http://youtu.be/sGzynfpqRLg

The Dually firmware has the TAZ 3.1 bootsplash image across all the different versions that’s where the similarities end though (we’re redoing the firmware to incorporate many of the latest Marlin updates and will repackage it soonish).

You can move the y axis assembly as needed to have a larger range of motion over the print area, loosen the four screws securing that axis assembly to the frame of the TAZ and position as needed.

I’ll pull the flexydually head and go back to the original head until the new firmware is out.

It shouldn’t have anything to do with the frame, but moreso the travel limits in the firmware, e.g. increasing the -Y distance by the number of mm of the head distance e.g. current max travel is 275mm the distance between the flex head and the standard head 40mm = new max travel distance of 315mm

You can do that as well. Just make sure nothing bangs into the frame and change it.