So, I have a number of problems. All at once.
Cannot connect to printer via USB
This is a new problem, and popped up seemingly out of nowhere yesterday. If I have my printer on and plugged into my Ubuntu/Cura/Nuc setup, it doesn’t connect. If I use the ‘lsusb’ command in terminal it detects that there’s a Rambo board there … but in Cura, when I click ‘connect,’ it says ‘connection closed.’ I have essentially the same issue when I plug the printer into my Windows 10 laptop – Device Manager knows something is there, and Cura recognises something is plugged in, but I can’t actually connect to it. This issue has become my #1 priority, as all other issues hinge on it.
Having done a bit of digging, I have added myself to the dialout/tty groups prior to posting here. It made no difference. I’m a novice Linux user, so it’s completely possible I’ve missed something ‘obvious’ in my approach to getting Cura (on Ubuntu) to talk to my printer.
Incidentally, getting CuraLE to work on a Win10 machine is an unpleasant experience (normally I don’t use the printer with my Win 10 laptop – I only installed Cura on it as I’ve taken the printer home). But I doubt that’s news to anyone.
This one has been an ongoing issue, and didn’t strike me as a problem until I decided (in an effort to solve problem #1) it was probably worth re-flashing the Mini 2’s board. Basically, it’s a school printer, and at school we keep it plugged into a Nuc with Debian/Cura. Cura lets us do everything, so we don’t really mind that the LCD isn’t functional. The LCD backlight is on, but it doesn’t display anything. It’s been that way since we replaced the board a few months back (some chickenhead, who shall remain nameless but whose name may start with ‘c’, managed to nuke a board while doing he something he shouldn’t have). I’ve swapped the ribbon cables around and that proved to be no solution – the LCD gets no power at all if I do that … I wouldn’t really care if a LCD wasn’t helpful in my effort to re-flash the board.
This is the issue that may have led to issue #1 in the first place. Basically, the printer seems to be … unreliable. I run off a handful of jobs and it gets clogged. Sometimes a cold pull does the trick – I pull the filament, trim it, and reinsert it, and I’m good to go again. At other times I end up disassembling the hot end. Sometimes it seems like the hot end itself isn’t so much jammed as … not picking up filament at all (i.e. the cog doesn’t properly feed the filament down into the extruder). We’re using a decent quality PLA at an appropriate temperature (205*C), and I’m aware that over-tightening the idler can cause problems.
As I said, issue #1 – the non-responsiveness via USB – is my biggest concern. Like all classic IT problems, it’s a case of it working fine (albeit with a useless LCD and a case of the jams) until all of a sudden it wasn’t. I didn’t do anything stupid – i.e. I didn’t have the printer switched on and plugged in while futzing about with the hot end. I also checked the fuses on the board this morning, and none of them seem to be damaged. My electronics knowledge is minimal, but a quick inspection of the board (which, as I said, is relatively new) doesn’t reveal any obvious loose connections/etc.
I’ve also tried, yes, two different USB cables just in case Error #1 was simply caused by a dodgy cable …