Run TAZ 4 with CURA 3.6 slicer through SD card

Hi, I am new on this forum and trying to put back my TAZ4 to service.
I would like to use the new version of CURA (3.6.34) but it does not seem compatible with TAZ4 (No update on the hotend)
Can I just set up a TAZ 5 profile and export the gcode to SDcard ?
I am afraid that if the hotend height might be different, it will not print properly (or worse that it sinks in the bed and break something)

Read on the forum that there is a difference of PWM/power of the resitor in the hotend.
Does it make a difference if I keep the temperature “low” (in the limits of the TAZ4 ?
Thanks

I found this post from 2018 that basically says it won’t be compatible and you should download a legacy version of cura here. If you just want to run it using an SD card, you could rebuild the printer settings in whatever version of cura your using. I imagine that TAZ 5 would be a good place to start, but may not have exactly the right start/end code or settings.

Since (at least in my understanding) gcode is pretty much the same for all marlin based devices it shouldn’t matter that they are controlled slightly differently as long as the firmware still accepts the same M104 command for heating.

The guys in this post had some pretty strong feelings as well.

Here is what I would do.

1. Install the legacy version of Cura (which has support for the TAZ 4). This version should include printer settings, start, and end gcode.
  2. Install the latest version of CuraLE.
  3. Add a LulzBot TAZ 5 printer (you will use this later).
  4. Create a custom printer and copy the printer settings and most importantly the start and end gcode.
  5. Check any variables (enclosed in {}) to make sure they are still valid. Use the TAZ 5 printer’s start and end gcode for hints.

For step 2, you could install the latest version of Ultimaker Cura instead.

For step 4, you could just modify the TAZ 5 printer (add a second one so you can use one of them for comparisions).

There are multiple slicers available, many of them free, and this is basically the process you would use to configure most of them for a printer not in their supported list.

Material and Quality settings provide starting points, not absolute values. Some tuning will be required but it won’t be long before you will know what changes are needed for your TAZ 4.

I have added my LulzBot TAZ 6 to multiple alternate slicers and have successfully printed from all of them. I would be surprised if you couldn’t use the USB connection and send gcode directly to you TAZ 4. I have my TAZ 6 connected to a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi / OctoPrint.