Swap one (flexy) extruder out of the FlexyDually with Stock v2.1 possible?

Hi!
With a new TAZ 6, the stock extruder is a “LulzBot TAZ Single Extruder Tool Head v2.1”, as far as I can tell.
I am considering to get a FlexyDually and replace the Flexy part of it:

I would like to have a normal “LulzBot TAZ Dual Extruder Tool Head v2” (non-flexy for ABS + PVA support) and a Flexystruder. But I would not like the original tool head to lie around uselessly.

It seems not too difficult to swap the Flexy part of a FlexyDually with the stock V2.1 extruder body, so as to end up with a “Dual” and a “Flexystruder”. Ideally, I assume that I just change the upper part (including the extruder body + gears, but without the stepper motor) and I’m set.

I would just like to confirm to be 100% sure: Is the hot-end the same in the FlexyDually and the Tool Head v2.1?

Thanks for the info!!

Different nozzle diameter. (.6 = Flexy <> .5 = Regular extruder.)

True! Well spotted indeed! :wink:
If that’s the only difference, then this could easily be remedied by exchanging the nozzle, I guess.
Cheers!

Just need to use the dual extruder v2 firmware. But I’m not sure what dependencies the nozzle diameter has on the firmware… I don’t think there are any. Just make sure your slicer settings are correct.

Personally, I’d print a modified Wade’s extruder body that allows for printing flexible filament… and get the dual extruder. Keep the hardware from your single as spares.

I attached my version of the body (shared only on the forums), but piercet has a version which improves the stiffness for faster printing… its on thingiverse, but I can’t seem to find it.
TAZ Extruder_semiflex_v2.stl (1.19 MB)