Taz 6 extruder nozzle change

I have a 2019 Taz 6 with the standard extruder (v2.1 I think) with the 0.5mm nozzle. I plan to make some large prints and want to change the nozzle to a larger size. Available nozzles sizes are .6mm, .8mm, 1.0mm and 1.2mm. I’d like to use the largest if possible. Are there any performance issues with any of these increased sizes?

Larger nozzle sizes put an extra demand on the heater block to melt the filament. I’m not sure the stock TAZ 6 Single Extruder heater will be able to handle the largest of the sizes you mentioned.

See the descriptions on https://lulzbot.com/store/tool-heads for the HS and HS+ tool heads.

Thank you for the reply. I figured that it might become a heater block issue. Point well taken. I wonder if there are others here that have experience with larger diameter nozzles on their Taz 6 single extruder tool heads.

I went the other way. I have Single Extruder V2.1 with 0.2 and 0.35 nozzles.

I got the HS+ tool head. The volcano block really lays it down… but really it’s only good for certain parts… and for that it’s a really pricey experiment.
If you want to do the nozzle swap I would suggest at minimum picking up the moarstruder hexagon hot end bits and printing the moarstruder… or buy an assembled tool head with the larger block

Larger nozzles have more propensity for oozing, and can be an issue with trying to level. You may need to manually tweak the temperatures of the filament with regards to soften, wipe, and probe temperatures so that you don’t get plastic in the way. I had issues with stock temps with PLA with a .8mm nozzle on the single extruder, but dialing back the heat about 10 degrees made the difference.

I tried 0.8 ( just drilled out an old worn nozzle). It worked fine with layers up to 0.5, same speeds as default

I have tried 1.2, 1 and .8 on my Taz 6.

All of them are possible but the 1.2 really required heavy tuning of the speeds etc. - i don’t think it was worth it.

I finally settled on the .8 and at a .6 layer height it is really pretty good . Just have to up the nozzle temp a bit and keep the speeds standard (60 and less for wall etc.) Still get great prints from that nozzle on lower layer height too.

Thank you all for responding. Good to hear about the .8mm working well with the std Taz 6 tool head. @Wrathernaut, duly noted about the temp mod suggestions regarding oozing.