I’ve been noticing more and more some really pronounced banding in my prints. In the attached picture I have some good examples. These were all printed with PolyLite PLA, first three were using the provided cura “quick print” profile and the last three on “high detail” It doesn’t seem to matter which settings/speeds I use and it doesn’t seem to follow any regular pattern like it’s a z-axis issue. I find the same bands using both the stock .5mm nozzle print head and with a .3mm nozzle tool head I built myself, though much less pronounced with the .3mm tool head. Also the bands seem to be around the entire part for the whole layer, not just one particular side or the other.
Right now I’m just looking for other things to try or suggestions from the community on if I can make this better on my own, if this is just how it should be, or if I should get support involved.
So far I’ve done the following:
Tightened up both the x and y-axis belts.
Ensured x-axis is level to bed and top of frame.
Greased z-axis lead screws.
Checked all issues in service bulletins (no heatsink on drivers, frame square, etc).
Measured all filaments I use over several meters to check consistency and update values if needed.
Calibrate e-steps, within a mm or two of 100mm with idler tensioned using provided jig files (both with jig between washers and between thumbscrew heads and idler).
Tried just flat out printing slower.
Things I’ve observed:
I can wiggle the tool head a little bit, but it takes quite a bit of force, I don’t think that normal printing movement would be able to wobble it much.
The bed does seem to have a bit of play, but as with the tool head it seems to take a fair amount of force.