Writing to this forum in hope of possible solution.
I purchased my initial TAZ 6 unit on 14th of December from Microcenter. After installing the printer, I produced a roctopus print with NGen Standard Cura Profile which had slight ringing on the surface.
Right after that I started to get familiar with ABS and produced a 3d Benchy printed with standard ABS profile with local ABS fillament supplier. Once first ABS print was done, I noticed more pronounced ringing same as NGen’s roctpous print.
The reason that it wasn’t as obvious as ABS is because NGen is considerably easier to print due to ability of using cooling. My project requires strictly abs print workflow, because final model will be smoothened in ultrasonic acetone chamber, see the link for details (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivH4Dm3ysw)
At that point I started to troubleshoot the issue.
First I went through numerous forum posts and tried to find a solution that would eliminate/decrease this artifact. This allowed me to get more familiar with structural components of the printer and get a good general knowledge on it.
Next thing was to reach out to Lulzbot tech support team. They kindly gifted their time and started to troubleshoot the issue together with me. We went through calibration procedures indicated on the OHAI support portal, purchased Village plastic ABS to ensure that imperfections are not due to the locally purchased ABS (which in all honesty is a great product). Purchased Printed Solid enclosure case to make sure that ambient temp during printing remains stable.
None of the approaches delivered improvements to this issue. After many tweaks and fixes, support team advised that we tried all the options and the unit has to be replaced.
After printer has arrived to facility and diagnosed, it was determined that toolhead was faulty.
Once I received the second unit, I noticed numerous upgrade on the structural components which gave me a confidence that this unit will produce considerably improved print quality.
Started to print with good high quality ABS fillaments together with village plastic and observed similar ringing across the print surfaces as per initial unit.
Then I made sure everything is lined up and belts are properly tensioned (great belt tension out of the box). Upgraded printing surface to Buildtak(so far the only good experience in terms of upgrades) which allowed me to print ABS with 75 degrees on build plate and still provide great adhesion. Also made first layers to look great.
Still there is ringing/ghosting on the prints…
Lastly we tried yesterday to adjust e-steps, fully turn off the heated and print Z resonance tower.
The issue is still present and I’m in a very though situation as my initial plan was to provided 3d printed parts to customers and make profit.
Currently and this is 100% my reality. Running low on the budget have no working solution to start earning income from this project.
Attached images are the latest printed 3d scanned artifact consists from 3 sections (later been glued together). The headdress and bottom section has a layer height of 0.1mm which is considerably high, face section is 0.2mm medium quality. All sections been printed on standard unchanged settings.
What I get in these prints, is observed as a resonance pattern coming from some loosen/misaligned or damaged component. Changing basic print setting, simply expands or shrinks the effect.
Another note regarding acetone smoothing, it’s a post process solution which after such printed ringing effect recreates wavy smooth surface, see attached.
Lastly, all the structural components been check for any lose play in them, belts are tight out of the box in good condition still.
Please address this matter and help to find peace in this situation.